12 December, 2009

Bona Fide: Weekly Roundup #50

Hello and welcome to issue #50 of my Weekly Roundup. As Alec posted we are coming back. Slowly but surely.... I still work on my Top Ten Reads 2009. Last week I wrote 2010 but that was a mistake. Christmas is coming nearer. Fortunately I finished to buy Christmas gifts. Now I enjoy Christmas time. On upcoming Sunday my wife and I will visit two Christmas markets.We like the atmosphere and all these smells.... But this week I wait for Friday. Because on this day I will go to a RAMMSTEIN concert. They are really famous - not only in Germany... And now enjoy reading....

Bona Fide's Menu

Books
  1. Shelf discovery of the week: Living with Ghosts
Blogosphere
  1. The David Gemmell Legend Award
  2. Crows of Vengeance by Stephen Zimmer
  3. PAX BRITANNIA
  4. A very Abaddon Christmas
  5. Burton & Swinburne
Movies
  1. Pictures and two old guys instead of Movies
Xgifts
  1. Heart of Veridon by Tim Akers
Quotes
  1. German proverbs, sayings and idioms

Books

This week I found a book on my shelf where I had to ask my wife whether this her book or my book. She read the text on the back and told me that is definitely my book. I speak about Living with Ghosts (2009, 484 p.) [US][UK], by Kari Sperring. And this the text which my wife read:
"A DARK FANTASY OF HAUNTS,INTRIGUES, STREET FIGHTS, ELEMENTAL POWER, POLITICAL RIVALRIES, AND SHAPESHIFTERS
Gracielis, the failed assassin priest turned courtesan and spy, wants to deny his strange abilities, yet he cannot ignore the ghostly presence that shadows him or the sorceress who rules him. Thiercelin wants his wife's love but all her time and energy are devoted to the preservation of Merafi and its ruler. Valdarrien, slain in a duel, wants to find his lost love and to live again. And the loyal soldier Joyain just wants a quiet life.
But in the ancient city of Merafi, you don't always get what you want.
For centureis, Merafi's safety and prosperity have relied on a pact sealed in blood between its first king and the land's elemental forces. The city should be immune to the powers inherited by Gracielis and his race, and opaque to ghosts and mystical creatures. But now a sorceress and a prince have broken the pact. The city's river is raging, its floodwaters bearing plague, supernatural violence, and destruction. Fantastical creatures walk the night. The dead - some of them - are trying to return. The rational, irreliguous Merafiens no longer believe in elemental powers and are blind to their sudden danger.
Trapped by the vows binding him to the sorceress, Gracielis fears for those he has come to love....
Desparate to prove himself to his wife, Thiercelin takes ever greater risks....
In the nighttime streets, Joyain fights deadly mist wraiths...
And as death and disaster spread, the magic protecting Merafi weakens . and Valdarrien's ghost grows ever stronger.... [Source: back of the book]

Blogosphere



I posted about The David Gemmell Legend Award in Roundup #45. A lot of things are going on. The nomination list is growing. On 9th of December Lamentation (2009, 432 p.) [US][UK], Ken Scholes has been nominated. I read it recently and really liked it. I hope to write a review in near future. On December 7th you could read following announcement by Award Admintistrator Deborah J. Miller:
"*UK/EU Reviewers Wanted... Payment in BOOKS!
* We're really sorry that we have to limit this offer to the UK & EU - it's just because of the time the postage takes between here & the USA.
We’re looking for some keen readers/site Members to help review the Nominated novels this year – this might help people to decide which of the Nominees to purchase & read, and maybe who gets their votes.
......
Of course, the book is yours to keep, FREE! HUZZAH!
And if other Members like your reviews, we’ll send you another novel to review on request." [Read full post at: Source]
Compared to last year I know and read a lot more books which have been nominated so far. I appreciate the Award and there I wanted to review one of the books. You may call me crazy but I think the DGLA is worth to support.So I sent a mail and drum roll .... I made it to the list. They will send me the chosen book for reviewing. Which book I chose? This one:
The Island (2009, 416 p.) [US][UK], by Tim Lebbon. It is the fourth book settled in the world of Noreela.
"Kel Boon thinks he has managed to escape his past as an agent in the secret organization the Core, protecting the blissfully unaware Noreelans from the threat of the lizard-like Strangers - creatures from beyond the known world capable of untold destruction. In the sleepy fishing village of Pavmouth Breaks, Kel has become the woodcarver, leaving fighting behind and forming a tentative relationship with trainee witch Namior. But a storm is brewing and at its center the witches sense something dark, and deadly. What follows in the wake of the storm threatens the Noreelans' very way of life, forcing them to face the fact that life exists beyond the shores of Noreela, and not all of it is friendly. With the people and land he loves in terrible danger, Kel quickly realizes that he cannot escape his past, or his destiny." [Source]
That means I have to add the book to my chosen twelve. I will write two versions of the review. One with Bona and Fide because they belong to this blog. The other one will be for the DGLA without Bona and Fide.

And that leads me directly to the next topic. I want to talk about an author from a small publisher.
I read about it over at Dave Brendon's blog Realms & Galaxies: Celebrating SFF. I was interested in the book and tried to search out the publishing date, but I failed. So I asked Dave and Dave asked the author Stephen Zimmer. And finally I got in contact with the author.
Crown of Vengeance (2009, 612 p.) [US][UK], by Stephen Zimmer is the first book in The Fires of Eden series. Begin an epic journey...
"On a night that begins no different from any other, strange mists engulf Janus Roland, Erika Laesig, Mershad Shahab, and several others going about their lives in a quiet midwestern town. When the mist dissipates, they all find themselves looking up into the bright skies of a new, incredible world. Without explanation of why it has happened, or any notion of where they are, they embark upon a grand adventure within the fantastical world of Ave (pronounced ah-vay). Some find themselves in the lands of the Saxan Kingdom, while others have emerged within the lands of the Onan, one of the tribes in the Five Realms confederation. Storms of war loom over both Saxany and the Five Realms, as invasion forces mass under the inspiration of The Unifier, a mysterious, captivating figure whose influence has swept across the surface of Aveever since His rise to power in the Gallean duchy of Avanor.
It is a war that will be fought in the skies, upon the seas, on land, and even in places non-physical in nature. A majestic, epic fantasy that begins many adventures and journeys across a diverse and enthralling world, filled with races and creatures both familiar and new, Crown of Vengeance lights the flame of the Fires in Eden series, bringing to life a bold, far-ranging, and grand new venture within the realms of fantasy literature." [Source]
Stephen Zimmer has been very kind and sent me a copy of the book, a set of awesome art cards and well crafted bookmarks and a poster of the title. The following pics show the cards and the bookmarks.
I started to read the book. So far I like it. Anyway I will deliver a review. To be honest I don't know whether I like the story in the end or not. I promised nothing to Stephen except that I will be truthful about it.
But all of you who live in US will get the opportunity to meet the author. Please read the Press Release: Crown of Vengeance by Stephen Zimmer for detailed information.

The most current schedule can always be found at http://www.stephenzimmer.com/appearances.html

For further information, or press inquiries, please contact C.C. James at ccjames@seventhstarpress.com
And if you want to know more about the publisher, the author and his books then please visit following websites:
www.seventhstarpress.com
www.stephenzimmer.com
www.firesineden.com
www.risingdawnsaga.com


PAX BRITANNIA
Regularly readers of the Roundup will know that I'm a fan of the PAX BRITANNIA series. Therefore I want to share the good news which have been posted by Jonathan Green: Unnatural History - SFcrowsnest's 16th most popular book of the year! Klick the link and read the details. I can't wait to to read the next book in the series...

A very Abaddon Christsmas
Abaddon Books - publisher of several series like PAX BRITANNIA - will run a special over the next weeks over at their blog Abbadon Books.
"As a special treat for you, we've asked our Abaddon authors to write guest blogs for us, telling us what their favourite characters are up to as they settle down to turkey and trimmings, brains, canned SPAM or what-have-you this Christmas. Of course, they're all very busy boys and girls, but a handful of them have been kind enough to oblige us with a little Christmas spirit." [Source]
And of course there will be a highlight. They will offer you a free PDF edition of Jonathan Green's "Christmas Past". This short story has been published in Human Nature by Johnathan Green which is the fourth book in the PAX BRITANNIA series. For more information about the series read The World of PAX BRITANNIA.
And now enjoy Hungry Christmas A Tomes of the Dead: Hungry Hearts story by Gary McMahon by clicking here .......


Burton & Swinburne
In Roundup #44 I posted about a planned steampunk series. The first book will Mark Hodder's Burton & Swinburne in The Strange Affair of Spring Heeled Jack. It is not finally scheduled yet. But over at Pyr-o-mania author Mark Hodder posted more details about his upcoming Burton & Swinburn series.

Movies

I don't know why but I can't find good trailers. As I wrote last week I mentioned here and there WebUrbanist since May 2009. I know there is a lot of snow in parts of US. In Germany we still wait for snow.
For me there is a connection between snow and winter. And fortunately there is an appropriate post over at WebUrbanist.

Don't miss the Winter Wonderland: 12 Awe Inspiring Snow Sculpture Themes post.

And here are my two favorite Muppets:



Xgifts

The following book is on my radar since I read this post over at Dark Wolf's Fantasy Reviews. I speak about Heart of Veridon (2009, 416 p.) [US][UK], by Tim Akers. I must say the cover is awesome.
"Heart of Veridon is the first book in the Burn Cycle. Jacob Burn is a disgraced airship pilot, and a man augmented by strange implants designed to keep him alive in combat conditions.An exiled son of nobility, he now makes his own way in the criminal underworld of Veridon, the City of Cog. But soon Jacob finds himself caught in a conspiracy of sabotage and murder between the government and the church, a mystery that stretches back into the roots of the city of Veridon itself."[Source]
I know it contains steampunk elements. For more information please read Liviu's review.



Quotes

This week I continue with some German proverbs, sayings and idioms. I chose them randomly.

" Dort,wo sich die Füchse gute Nacht sagen
out in the middle of nowhere,(word by word translation: where the foxes say good night)
"

" Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens.
Against stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain
"

" Die Kirche im Dorf lassen
not go too far, not get carried away (word by word translation: leave the church in the village)
"

4 comments:

Dave said...

I like the "foxes say goodnight" quote. That's the places where I don't want to live, but love to visit for hiking :-)

ediFanoB said...

Dave,
that's the place where I would like to go and stay with a bunch of books :-)

Dave said...

I'm going to reference a couple of these in a guest post, highlighting the differences between English and German :-)

ediFanoB said...

Hi Dave,

feel free to use them.