06 October, 2010

It's News To Me #27

Welcome to Wednesday. It's already been a long week for me, but hopefully this weekend will be a tad relaxing. Some good stuff this week, especially on the interview front. Well done Speculative Fiction bloggers, publishers, and especially authors. :)

Cover Art


This is one of those covers that really makes you want to read the book whether you've head anything about it or not. Ketai Kotaki did a wonderful job for The Unremembered [US preorder] [UK preorder] by Peter Orullian. Amazon has this coming out in the US in April 2011, with no date for the UK.

News

Tim Marquitz, author of Armageddon Bound (review) has been working on the sequel titled Resurrection. He just posted a "snippet" on his blog. Can't wait for that to come out.


I mentioned before that I love this cover and coupled with the fact that EdiFanoB (our former colleague) loved it, The Strange Affair of Spring Heeled Jack [US] [UK] is moving up my TBR pile. Here's an excerpt that was recently released.

The Wertzone brought to my attention a new discussion of The Wheel of Time, including Robert Jordan vs. Brandon Sanderson as authors. Interesting reading and not too long if you were wondering. :)

SF Signal's recurring Mind Meld asks which science fiction and fantasy tropes should be retired.

Interviews

Paul Kearney gets interviewed at the Solaris blog...
Solaris: You said very firmly after The Ten Thousandcame out that it would be a stand-alone. What changed your mind? Was it just Solaris’s roguish charms, or did you have a rush of inspiration?

PK: Brutal honesty? Solaris said they liked this stuff, and how about I write another? That’s it – seriously. It was meant to be a stand-alone pure and simple. If I had known I was going to be in that world for two more books, there are definitely certain things I would have done differently. I would have beefed up the role of the Juthan, because they are going to be very important in book three, and I reckon I would have kept a few characters alive that got bumped off. But hey, war is hell.
...and Sam Sykes answers Nethspace's Questions Five. Parents strongly cautioned. :)
Joe Hill, a magical pug, a Mexican, Joe Arpaio, and Lou Anders go on adventure seeking the Tome of the Underpants. How do things go?
Top 3 Reviews

3. Dave Brendon: Star Wars: The Old Republic: Fatal Alliance by Sean Williams - Definitely wins for longs title or title with the most sub-parts. I haven't read many Star Wars books, but Dave gave this a 10 out of 10 for the audiobook (only 7 out of 10 in paper). I have to agree that Star Wars audiobooks are amazing, what with the sound effects (light sabers, droids, etc.) and music.

2. Battle Hymns: Wolves of the Calla by Stephen King - This review isn't technically from this week, but it's gotten me excited to jump back into The Dark Tower series, maybe even by the end of the year.

1. Masterworks: The Left Hand of Darkness by Ursula K. LeGuin - I picked this up not too long ago and it looks like that was a good idea from the review here.

And that's the news...at least to me.

2 comments:

Bill said...

Interesting SF Signal Meld post, though it covered more SF than Fantasy (unsurprisingly).

I followed the link on the vampire powerpoint presentation. I will probably make use of that in the near future; it was pretty entertaining.

Bryce L. said...

I enjoyed that as well, thanks for pointing that out. :)