10 May, 2011

Review - Shatnerquake by Jeff Burk

This book is one of those that's been floating around for the last couple months and it finally arrived on my doorstep the other day. It is also one of the reasons I'm so glad I'm a Goodreads member, I never would have known about it otherwise.

I can't do a better synopsis than this:
"After a reality bomb goes off at the first ever ShatnerCon, all of the characters ever played by William Shatner are suddenly sucked into our world. Their mission: hunt down and destroy the real William Shatner. Featuring: Captain Kirk, TJ Hooker, Denny Crane, Priceline Shatner, Cartoon Kirk, Rescue 9-1-1 Shatner, singer Shatner, and many more. No costumed con-goer will be spared in their wave of destruction, no red shirt will make it out alive, and not even the Klingons will be able to stand up to a deranged Captain Kirk with a light saber. But these Shatner- clones are about to learn a hard lesson . . . that the real William Shatner doesn't take crap from anybody. Not even himself."

Shatnerquake [US] [UK] is everything the description gives and more. It's complete ridiculousness and I loved it. The body count is high and the characterizations of each of Shatner's characters is great for the most part. I wish they were a bit longer and more developed, but it worked enough to recognize the characters and that's what the author seems to be going for.

A Shatner character will just show up, perform a couple mannerisms and leave without a description of who it actually is. If I were a more well-versed Shatner fan I would have recognized more, but this helped:



At only 83 pages (which starts on page 11), Shatnerquake is well worth the experience. Definitely recommended!

4 out of 5 Stars

0 comments: