07 December, 2011

What's the Deal With... eReaders That Do EVERYTHING?

An internet rant is a beautiful thing. Because, why even be online, with all the anonymity that brings, and even attempt to contain all that angst. It's why we have comments on everything from blogs to Youtube to news stories. People need to complain! We have things on our chest and we've got to get them off...and our significant others are just plain tired of hearing the same thing over and over again.

In light of this, I decided to institute a new feature on the blog where I can bring up whatever's on my mind, be it terrible book covers, titles, ideas, bloggers (okay, probably just Pat), you name it and have some fun with it.

----------------

I know, two "What's the Deal With" 's this week. I must be really grumpy. Finals does that to me.

Does anyone else find it a bit pathetic that the way we're selling eReaders these days is to make them anything but an eReader?


They now have internet access, games, apps, etc. An infinite possibility to waste time by doing anything other than read. Why do people hate reading so much?

I know, as a social-network-connected blogger, I should be embracing such things, but I obviously have enough things to keep me from reading, the primary reason for doing any of this.

And that's why I decided against the Kindle Fire, Nook Tablet, and any other eReader that's not just for reading.

5 comments:

Kristina said...

I was wondering this the other day when a commercial for the Nook came on and the last thing they mentioned was that you could read on it.

Bryce L. said...

That's the one that got me thinking for this post, so weird. I guess not, most people have some inherent dislike of reading, is it high school that does it?

Bibliotropic said...

I know exactly what you mean. Call me behind the times if you like, but I'm one of those people who doesn't necessarily want one thing that does everything. I want an e-reader that reads e-books. That's it. It doesn't have to play music or movies or games, it doesn't have to be in colour, it doesn't have to let me surf websites. It has to let me read e-books, and that's enough for me. Same thing with my cell phone. My cell phone makes calls. It can send and receive text messages, and at first I was reluctant to embrace that.

I didn't need them to do anything but the basics, and the basics made my happiest. Anything else just seems over the top. I don't open a book to check my email, so why would I want my e-reader to do it?

Jamie Gibbs said...

I agree with you completely. My Kindle connects to the Amazon store and can play music. That's it, and I like it. I can read, buy new books on the go and listen to a tune or two while I'm doing it. I don't get why there has to be other 'features' shoehorned in.

tmso said...

That's okay. That just means the devices that just do that (only read) are super cheap! I'm gonna buy several this season to give as gifts to those I know who would appreciate them. :)