22 May, 2009

Bona Fide: Weekly Roundup #21

I would like to introduce our newest contributor to Only The Best Sci-Fi/Fantasy: ediFanoB. As I am sure many of you know, he is a great enthusiast of the science fiction and fantasy blogosphere, an avid reader, and a prolific poster. Playing to the admirable amount of time he spends reading our blogs, I asked him to do a weekly roundup of everything he found noteworthy, whether it be news, reviews, or snakiness. And remember, he loves comments! Without further ado, I give you ediFanoB and his certified weekly roundup:

Now I should introduce myself. Mmmmh, ähhhh, mmhhh, .... I don't want to bore you just at the beginning. I have an idea: In case you really want to get more information about me than take the opportunity and read Reader Appreciation Interview - Edifanob from 5th of March ......... I warned you before!


AWARDS

Do you know the most democratic fantasy award, where only voters decide who will win? No? Then it's high time you visit The David Gemmell Legend Award and vote!
"The DGLA will be presented for the very first time in 2009 for the best Fantasy novel of 2008. The award will be given to a work written in the 'spirit' of the late, great David Gemmell, a true Master of Heroic Fantasy." In case you don't know what to read next, just check out the FINAL DGLA Longlist 2008.

MOVIES

This week two films that will be released during 2009 aroused my interest:

9
by Shane Acker. For additional information look at 9 (2009 film).
If you love movies like Coraline and Corpse Bride then you won't be disappointed. Check out the new 9 trailer below:


Probably the most famous fictional detective in literary history is Sherlock Holmes. I still like the old black and white movies starring Basil Rathbone as Sherlock Holmes and Nigel Bruce as Doctor Watson. This year we will get a special Christmas gift from Guy Ritchie: A new Sherlock Holmes movie starring Robert Downey Jr. as Holmes and Jude Law as Watson. Check out the trailer below:



For me it is like Sherlock Holmes refreshed. I had the same perception when I watched the Star Trek Movie by J.J. Abrams.

BOOKS

So, as stated, I'm a fan of Sherlock Holmes. What do you think about an investigator in a steampunk world? When I read the first reviews of The Affinity Bridge by George Mann I was keen to read it. And to be honest I really liked it. And I wanted more! Fortunately there will be more. Snowbooks signs Mann for six !!
Thanks to Gav from NextRead for the link. George Mann gets gorgeous covers for his books. The next book in the series will be The Osiris Ritual (paperback release in September 2009).
Anyway, here is a great opportunity to discover George Mann. You can get his short story The Shattered Teacup for free either in pdf format or as mp3.

I read a lot of fantasy, but from time to time I need a book that goes beyond fantasy. Most of the time the main characters are male and young. But in 2008 I discovered a series with which I fell in love immediately: Gladdy Gold series by Rita Lakin. Gladdy Gold and her girlfriends live in Fort Lauderdale. That's nothing special. They start to work as private investigators. Still not that special. None of them is younger than 75! That's special. I laughed out loud when I read the first book. It is such a fluffy read with a great sense of humor. Ever read about a rollator race in a shopping mall? Or can you imagine a car full of old ladies out for a whole night of surveillance? Since I started reading these books I'm less afraid of getting older. I look forward to the release of book six Getting Old is Tres Dangereux in November 2009.

OTHER

Since beginning of the week my google reader is exploding. Of course I follow a lot of blogs. But every day more than 80 new items are being posted! What is going on? It must be the influence of spring. Or do you have another idea why the hell people are posting so much lately.

Have a terrific weekend and enjoy reading...


1 comments:

Anonymous said...

I saw a post by edifanob on the blog and had to track down his first post. Thanks for your support of all of us book bloggers, and good luck in all your endeavors.