10 July, 2012

The Thackery T. Lambshead Cabinet of Curiosities, Edited by Ann & Jeff VanderMeer


The Thackery T. Lambshead Cabinet of Curiosities comes out today so I thought I'd say a word or two about it. Every now and then a book comes in the mail that just gets me excited. This is one of those.

I first heard about this book a little while ago when the editors, Ann and Jeff VanderMeer, were asking for submissions to be included in a glossary of sorts. In fact, the actual words went like this:

[W]e are having an open reading period, starting today, for a micro-fiction section in the back of the anthology, which will consist of a list, with descriptions, of items from Dr. Lambshead cabinet that are not described in the stories. (source)
At the time (continuing through to this time), I thought this was genius. The opportunity for random people to be included in an anthology such as this, with big names such as China Mieville, Alan Moore, Michael Moorcock, Tad Williams, and you get the point. How cool! I really wish I would have sad myself down to write a submission.

So of course I jumped at the chance to receive a copy from the publisher and you probably don't need too many chances to guess where I headed first. Sure enough, there's a glossary full of zany concoctions and made-up artifacts such as the South American Insult Stone, Tycho's Astronomical Support Garment, and don't forget Dracula's Testicles. All with their author's name following.

I haven't read too much and with the way I read anthologies (when the mood strikes and very slowly), not to mention other activities keeping me busy at the moment, you'll probably not see a review for a while. I just thought I needed to post about this because I find this anthology to be insanely awesome already. :D


Here's the blurb for those wondering:
For lovers of Steampunk, Dark Fantasy, and Eccentric Contraptions After the death of Dr. Lambshead, an astonishing cabinet of curiosities was unearthed at his house. Many of these artifacts and wonders related to anecdotes and stories in the doctor's personal journals, or the adventures of his friends. We are now proud to present highlights from the doctor's cabinet, reconstructed not only through visual representations but also through exciting stories of intrigue and adventure. Rumors that Dr. Lambshead never existed are scurrilous and should be ignored

4 comments:

ediFanoB said...

Definitely a book for me.

I look forward to your review.

Bryce L. said...

Isn't it just great. :) My tiny brain can't even comprehend the awesomeness that is the idea behind this book.

Melissa (My World...in words and pages) said...

Cool. I have it here and really looking forward to getting into it. Thanks, and glad to see you are enjoying it.

Bryce L. said...

It's just absolutely insane and I love it, as any sane person would. :D Hope you enjoy it too.