14 March, 2010

My Shelves and Stuff



One thing I have yet to do, now corrected, is share a picture of my library with you. Living in New York allows me to have about 1/10th of the shelving space of most of you, so forgive the lack of a massive room swallowing library.

The shelves are fairly deep, so behind the visible books there is another stack. Thats about 40 paperbacks per shelf! The style doesn't work as well with the hardcovers, but I still manage to squeeze some paperbacks in behind them.

As you can see, I have also run speakers through the back of the shelves. This is so that we can watch and listen to shows over the computer. Although we have cable, we didn't spring for DVR capacity... but with the internet, you don't really need it anyway.

It took us quite a few trips to Ikea to build this baby, all four shelves included it cost us around 250$. That said, it fits perfectly into the recessed wall and works great as a stand for our television as well. All in all, a pretty good deal if you ask me given the versatility of the settlement.

If you spotted those massive hardcovers in the left bookshelf, your eyes inexorably drawn towards them, thats because I keep my signed books there.

The signed Knife of Dreams was accidentally sent to me instead of The Gathering Storm. I was upset at the time, put getting some signed Jordan is pretty awesome. Behind those are my recently acquired Alastair Reynolds books. I would love to put those up front too, but as you can tell, space is scarce. In fact, the reason I have so many giveaways is that I only keep the books I really like.

So, in the coming weeks you can expect a 10-15 book giveaway as I clear my shelves to make room for new stuff. The main reason is that while I can fit more books into the current setup, I really want a shelf dedicated exclusively to my unread books, which I don't have at the moment. Currently, finding something to read is like playing duck hunt, and I don't like it!

Well, that was a brief look at my shelves. As you can tell if you can read any of the titles, I don't read sf/f exclusively, one shelf is dedicated to political science, history, and philosophy. These 'heavier' subjects tend to make spec fic all the more enjoyable.

What do you think?

9 comments:

Adele said...

full. this is the correct state for bookshelves. This pleases me, ;)

bloggeratf said...

Space being at a premium, I don't have much of an option as to fulness :) Glad you like it.

WonderBunny said...

Textbooks are cheating and I see that physics book. ;)

I love full bookshelves, it shows that someone love reading. I think every time someone comes to my apartment the had a bit of adjustment as I have two huge bookshelves and two smaller ones right near the entry way (and a bicycle).

Harry Markov said...

Bah, you have way more shelving space that I. I have to stack every book in drawers and in compartments and where not. :)

bloggeratf said...

@ WonderBunny

The right section is my gf's! Those are for the most part all her books, although I have been sneaking my own in there for a bit now... She is a physics teacher, so that explains it I am afraid.

@ Harry

I thought third world countries had lots of space for things...

Harry Markov said...

No we don't, because we live in spaces that are twice smaller than your spacious bathrooms.

[In all honesty, my house is rather awkwardly conceived as design, so not so much shelving space.]

ediFanoB said...

I store books wherever I find a place. My wife is not amused about it.

Bryce L. said...

My wife's given me 2 halves of our bookshelves and they are packed. I keep finding extra spaces and thinking, "I bet I can get a couple paperbacks in there."

My dream is to have my own library/office. One day I shall live this dream.

Leone said...

I believe one and all must glance at it.