09 June, 2010

It's News To Me #10

Happy Wednesday everyone. I just got back a few days ago from my wife's sister's wedding (that's sister-in-law for most people) in Breckenridge, Colorado (beautiful place) and although it was great, wonderful, happy, fun, fanciful, etc, I'm happy it's over. I was only a groomsman and I got worn out. Gosh.

Cover Art


A Fantasy Reader brought these covers to my attention. This is Brian Ruckley's Bloodheir in Czech. This definitely falls into the category of covers-that-make-me-want-to-read-the-book. I think I need a new name for that...maybe ctmmwtrtb. Ok, that's even worse.

News

Victoria at Speculative Book Review will be starting her own A Song of Ice and Fire reread project where she only reads the POV's she likes best. June 11 will be the first post starting with A Game of Thrones.


As announced by Pat at the Hotlist, Ian C. Esslemont's newest in his Malazan Empire series, Stonewielder, has got a blurb. I'm really looking forward to learning more about the continent of Korel. Here ya go:
Greymane believed he'd outrun his past. He now ran a school for swordsmanship in Falar and was looking forward to becoming fat and lazy. With him was Kyle, though the plains youth was not quite so contented with civilian life outside the mercenary company the Crimson Guard. Yet it is not so easy to disappear when you are an ex-Fist of the Malazan Empire, especially one denounced and under a death-sentence from that very Empire. For there is a new Emperor on the throne of Malaz, and his thoughts turn to the lingering drain of blood and treasure that is the failed invasion of the Korel subcontinent. In the record vaults beneath Unta, the Imperial capital, lie the answers to that disaster. And out of this buried history surfaces the name Stonewielder. In Korel, Lord Protector Hiam, commander of the Stormguard, faces the potential annihilation of all that he loves as with the blood of his few remaining men and a crumbling stone wall that has seen better days, he labours to stave off the sea-borne Stormriders who would destroy his lands. Meanwhile, religious war has broken out all across these lands as the local cult of the Blessed Lady, who has stood firm for millennia against the assaults of the Stormriders, seeks to stamp out all rivals; a champion refuses to stand against the alien 'Riders' and takes up arms in rebellion; and a local magistrate innocently pursuing the mystery of a series of murders is brought to the very heart of a far larger and far more terrifying ancient crime that has stained the entire subcontinent.

I've been checking over and over for the past couple months to see when Daniel Abraham's The Price of Spring will come out in mass market paperback (I'm a poor college student and I plan on making a bigger contribution when I actually have money). Little did I know that "when" wasn't an issue, but rather "if". Sadly, we'll not be seeing the final volume in The Long Price Quartet coming out in mmpb. (source A Dribble of Ink)

Giveaways!

Temple Library Reviews is giving away a "stylish" black bookshelf to hold at least a small portion of your "To Read" pile. Now that's handy.

Oh, and we've got some books we're giving away to help you fill up such a bookshelf. Just check the upper right hand corner.

Movies/Videos/TV

Steampunk Panel - SLJ Day of Dialog, BEA 2010 from School Library Journal on Vimeo.

Cory Doctorow, Scott Westerfeld, and Cherie Priest talk steampunk at this year's Book Expo. (source Mad Hatter's)

And that's the news...at least to me.

5 comments:

Todd Newton said...

Wow. That Ruckley cover has to be one of the coolest I've ever seen.

You were up in Breck? Should have told me, could have grabbed a beer or something. Then again, I was in Paris all last week, so probably not. Whatever, hope the weather was good up there. We love Breck but we don't head up there often enough.

Bryce L. said...

@TD It's just amazing up there in Breck. Loved it. We actually had to hike on some dirt trails into the wedding and it overlooked Lake Dillon. Insane.

Are you in Denver area? I head there every now and then, we'll have to meet up.

Todd Newton said...

Yeah, I live in the west side suburbs. Let me know the next time you're going to be in town, for sure.

Unknown said...

Thanks for the plug. Always enjoy your weekly round up.

Bryce L. said...

Thanks Ty. If I had more time, it'd probably be almost as good as yours. :)