30 June, 2010

It's News To Me #13

I have to apologize for being so reticent lately, but getting ready for the baby is wearing me out...and he's not even here yet. I'll have a review up in the next few days I promise, but in the mean time, here's the news.

Cover Art

I just recently bought Paul Kearney's The Ten Thousand [US] [UK], which I'm duly excited to read, and continuing along the same cover art theme is his new (3rd book in the Macht series), The Kings of the Morning. While creepy, I'm definitely a fan of the art in this series. Maybe I'll soon be a fan of the actual novels. :)

The second book, Corvus, should be coming out in October this year and The Kings of the Morning is due out in July 2011.

R. Scott Bakker's newest in the Aspect-Emperor trilogy, The White Luck Warrior, has been making the rounds lately as far as cover art goes. I'm not the biggest fan of the cover, but this book's due out in March 2011, published by Overlook Press in the US and Orbit in the UK.

News

SFX Magazine is offering UK readers a voucher for a free copy of Alistair Reynolds' House of Sons in it's latest issue, coming out today. I'll let Werthead tell you the rest:
SFX has a RRP of £3.99, so even if you just get the magazine to pick up a copy of the book, you're effectively saving 50% off the cover price of the novel and getting the magazine free. Great news, particularly for me since I get SFX every month anyway, am a huge Reynolds fan, and hadn't previously gotten round to picking up House of Suns :-)
Speculative Book Review has posted another project they've been working on. It's a round table discussion of JC Marino's Dante's Journey (my review). Edi (from Edi's Book Lighthouse) and I did something similar (here) and I think it's a great idea. One of the ways I buy books is to search out enough reviews that I finally feel like I'll really enjoy a book. This just makes my work that much easier. :) (Can we say "obsessed with links"?)

A collaboration project is underway for extensive reviewing of the SF Masterwork series. Of Blog of the Fallen posted about this yesterday and it seems Larry will be a big part of it as well as a nice list of great reviewers. Check out the new site here although you won't find any posts yet. July 3rd is the big date for going live.

Movies/Videos/TV

My new favorite show to watch while whiling away the time at work is called InfoMania. It's like The Soup (another fave), but covers all types of media like magazines and the internet as well as TV. My favorite segment of my new favorite show is called Sergio's Music Intervention.

Here he asks Snoop Dogg to just be Gangsta again. Love it.


Please, stop saying "yes" to everything!

Oh, and Harry Potter and The Deathly Hollows is coming out soon, but I'm not excited at all. :D:D:D:D:D



And that's the news...at least to me.

6 comments:

ediFanoB said...

Hey Seak,
there is one thing you should know when you post hulu videos. You can't watch them when you are located outside USA.

THE TEN THOUSAND by Paul Kearney is good stuff. I ordered CORVUS in advance.

Did you know the that the MONARCHIES OF GOD series will published as omnibus in September 2010.

What do you think about a combined CORVUS review?

Bryce L. said...

That's a great idea, I'm all for it. Let's do it. I also heard about the Monarchies of God series, also looks good.

Sorry about the Hulu video, I couldn't find its YouTube equivalent.

Bryce L. said...

Correction, I just found it and edited the post. Thanks Edi!

ediFanoB said...

Seak,

OK. let's go for the next combined project. We will talk about details via mail.

Thank you for change of video.

zaldar said...

hey just found your blog from read and find out. A big fan of larry's so expect I will like yours as well. What did you think of Bakker'rs earlier stuff? I can't wait for his next one to come out. Really great stuff.

Bryce L. said...

@zaldar - Hope you like. :)

I have to admit, I have Bakker in my "To-Read" pile so I have no clue, but I only ever hear good things. Thanks for stopping by.