23 June, 2010

It's News To Me #12

Some good stuff in the news for you this week, plus we're giving away some pretty cool stuff right now. Alec is nice enough to part with his ARC of The Way of Kings. I really just think it's because he can't even fit the book into his tiny apartment. :D

Also check out the upper right corner of the blog to see how to win Pleasure Model and Black Blade Blues.

Cover Art

I'm really enjoying these covers for Pierre Pevel's series beginning with The Cardinal's Blades. This artwork is for the second in the series, The Alchemist in the Shadows.
Welcome to Paris, in 1633, where dragons menace the realm.

Cardinal Richelieu, the most powerful and most feared man in France, is on his guard. He knows France is under threat, and that a secret society known as the Black Claw is conspiring against him from the heart of the greatest courts in Europe. They will strike from the shadows, and when they do the blow will be both terrible and deadly.

To counter the threat, Richelieu has put his most trusted men into play: the Cardinal's Blades, led by Captain la Fargue. Six men and a woman, all of exceptional abilities and all ready to risk their lives on his command. They have saved France before, and the Cardinal is relying on them to do it again.

So when la Fargue hears from a beautiful, infamous, deadly Italian spy claiming to have valuable information, he has to listen . . . and when La Donna demands Cardinal Richelieu's protection before she will talk, la Fargue is even prepared to consider it. Because La Donna can name their enemy. It's a man as elusive as he is manipulative, as subtle as Richelieu himself, an exceptionally dangerous adversary: the Alchemist in the shadows . . .

Superb swashbuckling fun - with dragons!

News

R. Scott Bakker (Prince of Nothing and Aspect Emperor series') has his own blog, with the first post titled "Why does Blogging feel so...loserish?" Ouch, but can't really deny it. ;D


Ser Loras Tyrell and Hodor have been cast on HBO's Game of Thrones. I can't even contain my excitement. (Thanks Wertzone)

The David Gemmell Legend Awards have announced some winners:

Legend:

This award goes to the surprise candidate, Graham McNeill, for Empire [US] [UK]. Although, if you think about it, it does mention the word "Legend" twice on the cover. Not too surprising. Possibly forcing the issue a bit???










Ravenheart:

Love this cover for Joe Abercrombie's Best Served Cold [US] [UK]. (Plus I voted for this one)










Morningstar:

Pierre Pevel for The Cardinal's Blades [US] [UK]. Sounds oddly familiar, doesn't it? Also was up for the Ravenheart award (for cover art).









Movies/Videos/TV

The Wertzone also announced the unofficial new director for The Hobbit movie. Neill Blomkamp, of District 9 fame, may not only be working on The Hobbit in the near future, but also a new Dune movie.


And that's the news...at least to me.

8 comments:

Unknown said...

I am seriously debating about The Cardinal's Blade, the Musketeers meets dragons sounds interesting. The cover as impressive as well. I really like the French cover as well, which is hard to say when you hate the French like I do.

DEZMOND said...

that Dragon cover art really is stunning.

Bryce L. said...

@Ty - You better watch out, Alec will get you. :)

I agree about the books, sound really interesting and they've been getting good reviews too.

@Dez - Seriously. I love a cover that on its own makes me want to read the book. That's some good work.

Melissa (My World...in words and pages) said...

I have to say I LOVE the covers of the dragons on the sword. But the first one is my favorite of the two. Thanks for the info.

Bryce L. said...

@Melissa - Definitely a fan and the books are supposed to be pretty good too.

I just found out The Cardinal's Blades is due out in the States in October this year.

ediFanoB said...

The Way of Kings is on my list. As I don't buy hardcovers I wait for the paperback which will be published in September 2011. In the meantime I try to reduce my TBR pile.

Bryce L. said...

@edi - That's a really good idea. I was doing that with The Price of Spring, but then found out it wasn't coming out in mmpb. :(

Emma said...

I found a great deal of helpful info here!