29 August, 2011

What's the Deal With... This Amazon Kindle Commercial

An internet rant is a beautiful thing, I mean, why even be online, with all the anonymity that brings, and even attempt to contain all that angst. It's why we have comments on everything from blogs to Youtube to news stories. People need to complain! We have things on our chest and we've got to get them off...and our significant others are just plain tired of hearing the same thing over and over again.

In light of this, I decided to institute a new feature on the blog where I can bring up whatever's on my mind, be it terrible book covers, titles, ideas, bloggers (okay, probably just Pat), you name it and have some fun with it.

----------------

First, if you haven't seen this Amazon Kindle commercial, here it is:



So, this commercial is trying to tell you that you can download a book in less than 60 seconds, which is fine and all, but it's how they do it that bugs me.

Really? Of all things book people (or bibliophiles if that's how you roll) hate, it is going to book stores. They just despise looking through thousands of adventures and imagination-expanding possibilities and would do anything, including purchasing an Amazon Kindle, to avoid them.

Wait a darn second, I'm calling BS. If I say I'm going to the bookstore, you better not count on my coming back for at least a few hours. It's one of my all-time favorite places to play. :)

And while I realize we've allowed one bookstore to crash (although I'm pretty sure it's them not us at fault) and while the Amazon Kindle is a great thing (it's finally on my Christmas wishlist), bibliophiles do not want to avoid bookstores.

9 comments:

Simcha said...

Yeah, I agree that that does seem like the wrong angle to take to promote an ebook reader. While I love my Nook I would never turn down the chance to visit a bookstore and I still do prefer real books to electronic ones. For me the real advantage is being able to access books that aren't available in my region, as well as being able to carry with me several books at one time.

Michael Kelly said...

Thank you. I'm glad to know I'm not the only one to find that commercial completely obnoxious. In fairness, I work at a bookstore - a Barnes & Noble to be precise. That said, the trend of internet companies no trying to make people feel like "idiots" for actually wanting to go out to stores instead of sitting alone in their homes shopping on the internet all day is disheartening. New Egg has a similar commercial going around these days.

And you're right, I think the commercial completely misses the boat when it comes to what book readers actually want and think.

Oh, and here's the obligatory sales pitch: you should put a NOOK on your wish list instead of Kindle. I'm just sayin'...

Todd said...

It's probably aimed more at the casual readers, so one less errand is a good thing.

They're showing people getting a eagerly-anticipated/long-awaited book so fast and easy.

Jamie Gibbs said...

It's the casual folk who dip their toes into the water who are spoiling it for the rest of us. The Wii introduced us to the casual gamer (who then set up shop and took over) and the eReader will herald the dawn of the casual reader, shutting down out book shops. Don't get me wrong, I adore my Kindle, but you're right; assuming that book lovers don't like shopping for books is a bit nuts.

Bryce L. said...

@Simcha - Isn't that why you started your own bookstore? That's handy that you can just do it electronically now.

@Michael - Yes! I love it when I read someone's mind. :) I will look into the Kobo. (hehehehe)

@Todd - That's a good point about the casual reader, but I still think even a casual reader enjoys a bookstore. Maybe I'm just looking back to my casual reading days and it doesn't count because of what I've now become. :)

@Jamie - It is sad that we're losing bookstores to this. I've always been a fan of technological change, but this one I'm okay without if it keeps taking out bookstores.

Bastard said...

There's a lot of things I've been told I can do in under 60 seconds, so quite impressive here.

I'm not much of a bookstore guy, mainly because of lack of time and just there aren't any good ones in my area, particularly accessible ones that are worth the hassle.

But when I do decide to go, expect me to spend a lot of time in there.

And I hate e-readers (though going to Borders soon and see if their Kobo is cheap just for emergencies).

Amy Blackwelder said...

Yes, I must agree totally! I thought that was funny too.

amiblackwelder.blogspot.com

Perkunos said...

Bastard said: And I hate e-readers (though going to Borders soon and see if their Kobo is cheap just for emergencies).

Nicely put. What's better. To enter your room with a couple thousand books or having a little device with them? It's not just the same. The experience to read a book is too good. The smell, the touch of the pages... everything.

I really hope this e-book mania quiets down because a lot of people might get hurt. People who work in bookstores, people in all the process of making paper, publishers and so on. And of course the writers themselves. How easy is to download a book. Why buy it? It's like the videogames and such...

Enfin...

Anonymous said...

I HATEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Nothing worse then a commercial trying to be whimsical; trendy and funny, and FAILING miserably.