26 October, 2011

Goodreads Top 100 Fantasy Books List

I don't know what it is, but I'm a huge fan of lists. Maybe I just like really boring things...I mean I am in law school.

That means, of course, that any type of top 100 book list is right up my alley. (NPR ring a bell)

After weeks of nominations and voting to narrow down the list, the Goodreads group, Fantasy Aficionados, has posted their final list for “An Aficionado’s Guide to the top 100 Fantasy Books of All Time”.

Obviously, a lot of the regulars made the cut - like A Game of Thrones and Lord of the Rings:


Some newbies, interestingly, made the cut - I've not read any of the Iron Druid Chronicle so I guess I can't really say:


Some oldies as well - I was really happy to see Moorcock, but I don't get why both Homer's Iliad and Odyssey made the list as two separate entries while other series were combined:


Overall, it seems to be a pretty good list covering both old and new and I'm glad it's not completely filled with the textbook classics that everyone's read and therefore gets votes for that reason alone.

How does the list measure up to your expectations?

2 comments:

NoOne said...

Looks like a nice selection, although I'm pretty surprised to see Mary Poppins on there!

Bryce L. said...

Yeah, I forgot to mention that one. First, I didn't realize that was a book, second how did that get there?