29 August, 2009

Bona Fide: Weekly Roundup #35

Hello and welcome to a new issue of my Roundup. Unforeseen events changed our schedule for this week. Alec is busy with serious family matters. So for the first time it is up to me to "keep the blog alive". It is a challenge due to my limited time. This is the third post for this week and in order to do this I had to stop reading . But I don't want to complain. Let's see what I gathered for you within this week. Enjoy reading.....

Books

Corresponding to the movies section of this post I would like to draw your attention to a new werewolf novel: Wolfbreed (2009) [US] [UK] by S. A. Swann. As far as I reconnoitered it is different to other werewolf books. Paul over at Blood of the Muse loved the first 100 pages. And Graeme over at Graeme's Fantasy Book Review wrote in his review: "‘Wolfbreed’ is definitely up there for my ‘surprise find of the year’. If you’re after an engrossing slice of historical fantasy, or if you just like werewolves, then I don’t think you’ll go wrong with this one..." The setting is promising: 13th century Northern Europe, Teutonic knights, religion and political intrigues, werewolves.... I could not withstand and added the book to my list. Whatelse can I do to convince you? First of all I can offer you the opportunity to read an excerpt. And as it is in vogue I will maltreat you with a book trailer.


Movies

Some of you may know the following trailers but I think it is worth to post it here. The Wolfman (2010) is a remake of The Wolf Man (1941) [trailer]. And I definitely want to see the remake:


A lot of us admire special effects in movies. The following video shows you examples of visual effects from past 100 years:


Quotes

I'm reading Best Served Cold (2009)[US] [UK] by Joe Abercrombie. And there I found this on page 162: "No one wants you when you get old.” And this week my mother turned 75. Don't get me wrong, there is no relation between the quote and the age of my mother. Both things led me to quotes about....... youth

"Youth cannot know how age thinks and feels. But old men are guilty if they forget what it was to be young.
J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, 2003

"Youth is the best time to be rich, and the best time to be poor.
Euripides (ca. 480 BCE–406 BCE)

"In case you're worried about what's going to become of the younger generation, it's going to grow up and start worrying about the younger generation.
Roger Allen

4 comments:

Harry Markov said...

And you are doing a mighty fine job at that now don't you think. :) I am interested in some historical shape shifting just to shake things up and I usually have similar taste with Graeme, so I trust him completely.

ediFanoB said...

Harry,
thanks for compliments. It is always a challenge when you do things for the first time. Like you I trust Graeme and and a few other blogger.

Harry Markov said...

Pleasure as always. :) And the first time always seems like the worst time or the hardest time or the scariest time. I have been on so many first times that I am generally surprised how my anxiousness hadn't dragged me down already.

ediFanoB said...

Harry,
believe me anxiousness is not a question of age. The most important thing is to overcome anxiousness and just do it. But I think I can't be wrong to talk about anxiousness and doubts. It makes a post more alive.