05 December, 2009

Bona Fide: Weekly Roundup #49

Hello and welcome to issue #49 of my Weekly Roundup. I feel a lot better compared to last week. But I still need more sleep as usual and I have to work a lot more than I expected. That is sad because it hinders me to read books and blogs. Unfortunately also Alec is still busy. So I try to keep the blog alive with my Weekly Roundup. But Alec and I see a small light at the end of the tunnel. When everything goes well we will return to more regularly posts on a low level. That means two to three posts beside the Roundup. Hopefully you are patient with us. One more thing. Last week I told you that I will post about my Top Ten Reads 2010. I did not find the time but I promise to to do it within this month. And now enjoy reading....

Bona Fide's Menu

Books
  1. New book on my shelf: Wolfbreed
Blogosphere
  1. Harry Markov's Reviewer Time
  2. Update: My November Reading Challenge
Movies
  1. Pictures and Gadgets instead of Movies
Xgifts
  1. Bauchelain and Korbal Broach by Steven Erikson
Quotes
  1. Santa Claus quotes


Books

I posted about the following book in issue #35. And now I bought the werewolf novel:
Wolfbreed (2009) [US] [UK] by S. A. Swann. As far as I reconnoitered it is different to other werewolf books. Graeme over at Graeme's Fantasy Book Review wrote in his review:
"‘Wolfbreed’ is definitely up there for my ‘surprise find of the year’. If you’re after an engrossing slice of historical fantasy, or if you just like werewolves, then I don’t think you’ll go wrong with this one..."
And also John Ottinger over at Grasping for the Wind liked it and wrote in his review:
"Themes of loss, human nature, and the power of love drive this action-adventure tale. I was so engrossed that I read the entire thing in an afternoon, entranced by the captivating love story and the thrilling action. I found Wolfbreed to be an exciting read and I recommend it."
The setting is promising: 13th century Northern Europe, Teutonic knights, religion and political intrigues, werewolves.... I bought it. What else can I do to convince you? First of all I can offer you the opportunity to read an excerpt. And as it is in vogue I will maltreat you with a book trailer.


Blogosphere

You may know that I'm a big fan of Harry Markov's Reviewer Time. In this great series you get a lot of information about the people behind blogs. In case you missed the last two issues then follow the links and get to know Mark Chitty from Walker of Worlds and Mark & Liz from My Favorite Books. Some time ago Alec and I have had the pleasure to get interviewed by Harry. By the way Harry is always looking for new "victims". So in case you know a blogger who should be interviewed contact Harry.

My November Reading Challenge
I'm still not finished with The Silver Skull (2009, 423 p.) [US][UK], by Mark Chadbourn. Only 25 pages left. But I hope to finish on Saturday I hope to finish over the weekend. Anyway due tothe circumstances I happy that I read 6 1/2 books in November!


Movies

Time has been short and I didn't find neither a trailer nor a short movie worth to present to you. Since May I mentioned here and there WebUrbanist. This is an awesome website which discover great art and gadgets.

Do you like USB gadgets?
Then it is must to have a look at 50 Geektastic USB Gadgets & Funky Flash Drives.

I never get tired of looking at trick of the eye pictures.
If you like this like I do then visit Trick of the Eye: Delightfully Deceptive Works of Art. Some of the pics are unbelievable!


Xgifts

One of my plans for next year is to read the whole Malazan Empire series by Steven Erikson. I will read one book per month starting in January 2010. Beside the series there are also novellas available. And I added following omnibus to my list:
Bauchelain and Korbal Broach (2007 ) [US][UK] - to my wishlist. read the following description:
"The first three tales of Bauchelain and Korbal Broach, the famed necromancers from the Malazan Book of the Fallen, collected in one volume.
BLOOD FOLLOWS
In the port city of Lamentable Moll, a diabolical killer stalks the streets and panic grips the citizens like a fever. As Emancipor Reese's legendary ill luck would have it, his previous employer is the unknown killer's latest victim. But two strangers have come to town and they have posted in Fishmonger's Round a note, reeking of death-warded magic, requesting the services of a manservant...
THE HEALTHY DEAD
The city of Quaint's zeal for goodness can be catastophic, and no one knows this better than Bauchelain and Korbal Broach, two stalwart champions of all things bad.The homicidal necromancers - and their substance-addled manservant, Emancipor Reese - find themeselves ensnared in a scheme to bring goodness into utter ruination. Sometimes you must bring down civilization...in the name of civilization.
THE LEES OF LAUGHTER'S END
After their blissful sojourn in Lamentable Moll, the sorcerors Bauchelain and Korbal Broach - along with their manservant, Emancipor Reese -set out on the open seas aboard the sturdy ship Suncurl. Alas, there's more baggage in the hold than meets the beady eyes of the crew, and unseemly terrors awaken. For Bauchelain, Korbal Broach and Emancipor Reese, it is just one more night on the high seas, on a journey without end." [Source]



Quotes

On Sunday 6th December we celebrate Nikolaus. In the night of 5th to 6th December children put a boot called Nikolaus-Stiefel outside the front door. And if the kid has been polite and helpful in the post year Nikolaus will fill the boot with gifts and sweets. That is the reason why you get Santa Claus quotes this week.

" Santa Claus wears a Red Suit, He must be a communist. And a beard and long hair, Must be a pacifist. What's in that pipe that he's smoking?"
Arlo Guthrie, US folk singer (1947 - )

" I never believed in Santa Claus because I knew no white dude would come into my neighborhood after dark."
Dick Gregory, US comedian (1932 - )

" Santa Claus had the right idea. Visit everyone once a year."
Victor Borges

2 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Thanks for the links and a great roundup!

ediFanoB said...

Hey Alex,
thank you for the kind words. I always try to post different things than other blogger. Hope to see you around next week.