27 April, 2010

(Audiobook) Review - Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter by Seth Grahame-Smith

Like I said before, I'm not immune to peer pressure. The opposite is in fact true. I also realize this is probably getting as annoying as hearing about how busy people are and excuses as to why there's no posting. I'll attempt to refrain (doh!).

Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter (2010) [US] [UK] tells the story found in Lincoln's secret journal describing his alternate life as a vampire hunter. Personally, anything titled "Vampire Hunter" should really be more entertaining than this.

I don't know if by reading Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter I would really be able to have an opinion of the rest of the monster mash-ups as Vampire Hunter is based on Lincoln's life and not another book like Pride and Prejudice. I assume as much though and as such, you'll probably not see many more mash-ups reviews.

I have to admit I wasn't converted. First, I wasn't a huge fan of the narrator. The voices he used were just all off for me. I have a certain voice for Abraham Lincoln in my head (probably thanks to School House Rock or something) and this did not do it for me.

Next, I have to say the writing was done well and while I was impressed with the facts of Lincoln's actual life that are woven into the story (I did confirm a few), it was hard to take someone telling the actual thoughts and motivations behind Lincoln's actions especially regarding vampires.

As mentioned earlier, I guess I expected more action and adventure, less plodding along and talking. Now that I think about it, the "Abraham Lincoln" part really should have off-set the rest of the title enough. Don't get me wrong, I greatly respect President Lincoln and I think that may have been one of the reasons I had a hard time with the book as well.

One of the perks of the audiobook was that there's an interview with Seth Grahame-Smith at the end of the telling of the story and that was pretty interesting. He tells how the two books he saw everywhere for the last while have been Abraham Lincoln biographies and Twilight. Thus we have Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter. Also interesting to note Grahame-Smith has a MTV show in the makes.

When Should You Read/Listen to Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter?

I can probably mostly compare Vampire Hunter to The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova. It's similar slow-moving vampire hunting, so if you liked the latter, you'll probably enjoy the former. Although I would not wish The Historian on my worst enemy. Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter was a step up from that to be fair.

2 out of 5 Stars (It was okay)

Interesting discussion on Monster Mash-Ups on Neth Space earlier this month.

6 comments:

Mad Hatter Review said...

I couldn't get through Vampire Hunter. It lost me at around the 100 page mark. But I did actually enjoy The Historian, which could have lost 100 pages of dithering.

Simcha said...

I also haven't tried any of the retellings of the classics that are so popular now, as they hold no appeal to me, but this one actually looked kind of funaft. Ber reading your review I don't think I'm going to bother trying to read it. Though I'm surprised to hear that books about Abraham Lincoln are so popular.

Bryce L. said...

@Hatter - I don't know if I would have continued reading had it not been audio. Yup, that's what killed me with The Historian, but I also thought every character was just the same person.

@Simcha - It's a fact, Lincoln books are all over the place. Can't recommend this one though. :)

Melissa (My World...in words and pages) said...

I have to say I have read the reviews on this book and it just didn't appeal to me. Even from the people that loved it. I didn't think it was a book for me. Sorry to see you didn't enjoy the book, but feel better that I am not missing out on a great book. I think my idea for myself is true, I will pass on this one. Thanks!

Bryce L. said...

@Melissa - Always glad to help. That's why I swear by book blogs so I always know I should at least somewhat enjoy the books I buy. (This one I won).

Melissa (My World...in words and pages) said...

I am really attached to my blog reading to find information on books. I follow places I know like the same type of book, or some of the same genre of books I do so I have a great idea of whether I will enjoy the books or not. Thanks for the help here!