07 April, 2010

It's News To Me #1

So as not to taint the legacy that was "The Weekly Roundup" we're doing a bit of an alteration not only to the name, but since ediFanoB left, it's now up to me (Bryce). It's News To Me will be the new weekly amalgamation of what's happening in science fiction and fantasy in publishing, the blog-o-sphere, movies, etc. Edi always did a great job and after this he'll really be glad to be gone. :)

Cover Art

Mark Charan Newton's new cover for the US edition of Nights of Villjamur is brilliant. Yup, it's so great that I used the word "brilliant" and I'm not even British. Compared to the former covers (shown below from left to right - UK, UK, old US) and it's my favorite, although only just.


Ken Sholes' Psalms of Isaac are being recovered. Although good, I have to say I like the older covers better.


Interviews


The Speculative Book Review has entered the SFF blogging community with a bang. Already some great reviews going up and two interviews from titans in the Fantasy genre, Guy Gavriel Kay and Tad Williams.

In an interview that's just as high-caliber as those mentioned above, Temple Library Reviews interviews Amanda Rutter of Floor to Ceiling Books.

Discussion

Book love and its various symptoms - James Long discusses his book addiction. Some describe their book collection as "trophies" while others are happy to move to the digital age. Where do you stand?

I never realized it before, but I own "trophies" and I can spend hours just looking at my own collection or perusing a book store. That doesn't mean I'm in any way against digital books and I can see myself purchasing one (once the price is right) because they DO make traveling so much easier.

Awards

The Arthur C. Clarke shortlist has been announced along with the winner of the BSFA (British Science Fiction Association), The City and the City by China Mieville. Definitely check out Gav's read-through of the nominations for best book.

Plus, there's the David Gemmell Awards - Legend, Morningstar and Ravenheart shortlists are out:



Oh, and I guess I should mention that the Hugo nominees are out too although I'm sure no one cares. I joke. Here's just a few awards (the one's I'm most interested in):

Best Novel
  • Boneshaker, Cherie Priest (Tor)
  • The City & The City, China Mieville (Del Rey; Macmillan UK)
  • Julian Comstock: A Story of 22nd-Century America, Robert Charles Wilson (Tor)
  • Palimpsest, Catherynne M. Valente (Bantam Spectra)
  • Wake, Robert J. Sawyer (Ace; Penguin; Gollancz; Analog)
  • The Windup Girl, Paolo Bacigalupi (Night Shade)
The John W. Campbell Award for Best New Writer
  • Saladin Ahmed
  • Gail Carriger
  • Felix Gilman *
  • Seanan McGuire
  • Lezli Robyn *
* (Second year of eligibility)

New Blogs on the Block


A motley band of rag-tag ruffians has begun a blog providing the latest information on new releases in speculative fiction. For some reason, they asked me to join - I guess they needed a court jester to laugh at (not with). :)


Our own ediFanoB has started his own blog, Edi's Book Lighthouse, and he's off to a great start. I love his style and though I'm sad I won't be working as closely with him, I'm glad to see he's still tickin'. :D

Suvudu Cage Match

Lots of people are following the cage match on Suvudu (march madness brackets for fantasy characters) and I'll admit to being a bit addicted myself. The final match is between Rand Al'Thor and Jaime Lannister, who'd've guessed? ;) Voting has already begun and don't forget the consolation round too (Drizzt vs. Kvothe).

To be honest, I voted for Drizzt over Rand, but I've been behind Jaime the whole time. After A Storm of Swords, who wouldn't be?

Book For Immediate Consumption


I just finished The Warded Man (about 5 minutes ago) and loved it. Now, I'm dying to get my hands on The Desert Spear [US] [UK] due out April 5 (UK) and April 13 (US). It's been a while since I've read a book that's got me this excited to read the next in the series. Great stuff, thanks Mr. Brett.

And that's the news...at least to me.

6 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Thanks for all the updates. You did a fine job.

Bryce L. said...

@Alex - Haha, thanks. I'll tried to get a good mix. There's always so much going on.

ediFanoB said...

@Seak,

well done! A good start. Anyway it is good that you try to find your own style.

And thank you very much for mentioning my new blog.

Unknown said...

New weekly edition looks good, and it is a big week as far as announcements go so. Nice to see you covered the gambit. Thanks for the mention on our interviews. Another big name has been interviewed and on the 10th it shall be posted so keep an eye on SBR.

The new covers for Scholes are god-awful.

Keep up the great work Bryce.

Woodge said...

I like the new Ken Scholes covers. Maybe I'm in the minority.

Bryce L. said...

@Ty - If it's who I think it is I'm really excited. :)

@Woodge - Honestly, I like the covers, but I don't love them like the old ones. Scholes explains it on his website that the old ones didn't draw enough people, so they wanted to make it more appealing to the masses.