21 April, 2010

It's News To Me #3

And we're back again. Some good news this week especially for Erikson and Goodkind fans. Anyone buying Avatar tomorrow...can I come over?

Cover Art

Sometimes I get jealous of other countries' covers. Okay, so I would pretty much prefer any cover over the US cover on any given day. Lamentation is an exception for the US (although becoming less so) but here, yet again I find another country's cover art is better (but at this point it's nothing to complain about). Nice work France.

News and Discussion

For all those Malazan fans (me included) Steven Erikson has announced he has 10 chapters left on The Crippled God. At first I thought, Yay!, then I remembered his chapters are a tad lengthy. Still a good sign, but he may not be able to finish in time for the scheduled release date of August 2010. Esslemont's Stoneweilder is still due out for November 2010. Both UK release dates, good thing for Book Depository. (Thanks Wert).

Speaking of The Wertzone, Adam's got an interesting discussion going titled "The Story So Far..." I thought it was an interesting topic, should author's give a synopsis of what the story has been so far especially in a long, drawn-out series where memory tends to fade in between release dates. I fully support them in case you were wondering. I realize, as GRRM points out, that the author may highlight only the subtle foreshadowing that's important, but I say it's worth it. If the story were that fresh in my mind, then I'd skip the summary anyway, but since it's not, I need the reminder. Only in rare instances do I go back and reread. Maybe I should.

Stomping on Yeti's calling out for submissions cause he's getting married or something. Stop by if you want to try your luck stomping on yeti.

In funnier news, Terry Goodkind has signed a 3 book deal with Tor and it's more Richard and Kahlan. IMO, Alec wins for the funniest response. I've had the good luck to be warned away from anything Goodkind's written so I guess that counts me out for having a say. I have, however, read some interviews and if that's not enough to keep away from his books, I don't know what is.

Movies

Yup, I'm the last person in the world to see Avatar. Actually I found out recently that there are still quite a few people who haven't. Enjoyed it quite a bit and I really think it won the right oscars because otherwise it was a bit cliche, but I don't mind cliche. The military guys really cracked me up (Colonel Miles Quaritch). DVD and Blu-ray come out tomorrow (April 22).

And that's the news...at least to me.

4 comments:

Melissa (My World...in words and pages) said...

Oh My!!! I love Lamentation's cover! That is the kind of cover to go with the read. It tells the whole story right there. Did you know they changed Canticles' cover? Ken had them up on his live journal. I like the new cover for Canticle and the one for Antiphon, which I think you had up here.

But I really do love Lamentation's cover you have here.

Bryce L. said...

Glad to bring it to your attention. :) I like the new covers of Canticle and Antiphon but I think I like the old ones just a bit better. In any case, I should probably start reading the series before I get too opinionated. :)

Melissa (My World...in words and pages) said...

:) As much I would like to say covers aren't the important part of the books it is what catches you eye to get you to read the synopsis.

You haven't read this series yet? I think you will like it. I love how Ken tells the story from different view points and the mystery to the story as well. Hope you enjoy it. :)

SQT said...

Is it wrong that I haven't seen "Avatar" yet? I can't drum up any enthusiasm for it for some reason.