13 April, 2010

It's News To Me #2

Here we go again. Hope everyone's having a great week. I'm just happy to have my Appellate brief (a nice 15 boring pages with lots of citations) out of the way so I can get some more reading time. Yes, law school is a terrible leisure reading killer in case you didn't know.

Cover Art

The cover of the next book of the Inheritance Trilogy by N.K. Jemisin is out and yet another win. I'll have to put these on my "to-read" list for the covers alone. Oh yeah, I judge books by their covers and freely admit it.

The UK cover for Sanderson's new epic, The Way of Kings is out and this is one of the few cases where the US cover (below) wins out in my book.



Interview(s)
I promise to get over my obsession with Peter V. Brett as soon as I read The Desert Spear (well, until the next installment comes out), but here's a great interview over at SFF Chat.

Also find an interview of The Conqueror's Shadow author, Ari Marmell at A Dribble of Ink in classic Aidan style. Great stuff.

Reading For Free


After greatly enjoying Brent Weeks' Night Angel Trilogy it may be understandable that I'm pretty excited for The Black Prism, especially since the first 3 chapters have been released. I do have to warn that there may still be changes as this is still at the manuscript stage.

Any Neil Gaiman fans out there? Ever since I saw Stardust, I couldn't help but love the guy. I mean, Robert Deniro in a tutu. Well, he's got some short stories up on his website, Gaiman, not Deniro.

And we've got a short story (PDF) from the above-mentioned Ari Marmell in The Conqueror's Shadow universe (however it's not necessary that you read the book first).

Videos/Movies


Yup, great video and I'm happy to celebrate Voyager's 15 years. Here's to 15 more!

HBO's A Game of Thrones news

Is there any way this is going to be bad?

I've been really impressed with the amount of information that's been forthcoming regarding A Game of Thrones on HBO. The latest news is that they've obtained the services of David J. Peterson, an expert language creator, to work on the Dothraki language for the show.

George claims to be the next Tolkien when it comes to languages...ok not really...just checking if you're still with me. :-) He actually admits to creating one word at a time as needed for the series. When asked more about the vocabulary and syntax of High Valyrian, George responded:

"Uh... well... all I know about High Valyrian is the seven words I've made up to date. When I need an eighth, I'll make that up too... but I don't have a whole imaginary language in my desk here, the way Tolkien did."

...still works for me. :)

And that's the news...at least to me.

6 comments:

bloggeratf said...

My gf wouldn't let me buy Conqueror's Shadow last week. I am not sure why, but I don't think she liked the cover. She can't say no to the short story though!

I need to read the Jemisin too, if only because of all the praise she has gotten. I like the new cover a lot, even more that the first book.

I am excited about AGoT (or it it GoT?) series as well. HBO just makes quality stuff on a consistent basis. I also saw the x lady Stark in a play in the city last week. She was pretty good. Too bad they recast her.

Simcha said...

Thanks for the mention. I'm also determined to find a new author to obsess over, though it's hard because I haven't read anything lately that I really loved. I did just finish The Conqueror's Shadow. which I enjoyed, and now I'm struggling to write my review of it. Don't know why I'm having such a hard time though. Perhaps something that a bit of sleep would help with...
Did you ever end up reading The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms? Well, you know my opinion of it and I doubt I'll be reading the sequel.
Great post.

Bryce L. said...

@alec - Yes, I like the ingenuity. :) Did you know you were seeing the x lady Stark beforehand? That's pretty cool.

@Simcha - Thanks. Did you see your interview got mentioned on Pat's Hotlist? Now that's cool. :) No, I never read The Hundred Thousand, but I'm still curious to see where I'll stand.

Alec said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Alec said...

Its called Mr & Mrs Fitch.

It was pretty good, although it was more my gf's type of show. I didn't know it was her till about halfway through. I wanted to hang around after and ask her why she dropped the miniseries, but there was a bar that was calling our name.

ediFanoB said...

I like the gorgeous Broken Kingdoms cover.

It seems you like covers a lot :)

I look forward to read Black Prism.

Keepon the good work.