14 July, 2010

It's News To Me #15

All week I've been awaiting the time when I can call into work and say, "I'm not coming in today, my wife's having a baby." But, still no contractions, nothing at all. I guess he's quite comfortable where he's at and let's be honest, it only goes downhill from there.

Other than that, here's some interesting stuff going on in science fiction and fantasy this week.

Cover Art

As an Abercrombie fan, I'm already guaranteed to read this, but a nice cover definitely helps. The Heroes also happens to be a cool name and I'm sure he'll find a way to make that somehow ironic. This is the UK edition with the US shown below.


also making its rounds is the crazy awesome-looking new Kraken (by China Mieville) cover from Sub Press. How cool are they?


News

There's a new weekly feature going on at fantasyliterature.com called "Why You Should Read... (insert author name)" and last week's featured author was David Gemmell. Amanda Rutter has enlisted a group from around the blog-o-sphere to plead their case as to why people should be reading their favorite author. You may be seeing a certain blogger from OTBSFF, any guesses as to which author I picked?

There's an excerpt of Chris Wooding's sequel to Retribution Falls, Black Lung Captain over at Pat's Fantasy Hotlist. I have yet to read either, but both are very much in my To-Read pile after my experience with Wooding's Malice.

After reading my review of The Left Hand of God along with the comments of a few people who were in agreement, The Speculative Scotsman asks, "As reviewers, do you read other reviewers' reviews before composing your own?" I still like that Larry at Of Blog of the Fallen will review reviewers' reviews, but that's an entirely different subject. :)

Speaking of reviews, I always take a step back when someone give a book a perfect rating and that's just what The Bird of the River by Kage Baker received from one Graeme Flory. I may just have to check this out.

One last news item I'll mention is that the SF and Fantasy Masterworks blog is going strong. Nine reviews are already up and they're really making me want to get back to the classics. I do like to throw them in every now and then and this is a great opportunity to see which ones pique my interest.

And that's the news...at least to me.

4 comments:

DEZMOND said...

that BLACK LUNG CAPTAIN really has some stunning book cover!!! Makes you wanna read the book immediately :)

Bryce L. said...

Too true. That coupled with the raving reviews from Retribution Falls, I'm not sure why I haven't gotten into this series yet.

Unknown said...

I just read Bridge of Birds but sadly my review will not be up until late October. But I did give it a 10/10 as well.

Simcha said...

I'm not familiar with the book The Bird of the River but if it's getting such great reviews I think I'm going to have to check it out.
Hope your wife is feeling good and that she has a quick and easy delivery.