09 March, 2012

It's News To Me - Composites of Famous Characters, Metahumans, and eBook Deals

Spring Break starts as we speak and I may or may not have anything to post this upcoming week, it just depends on how much time I have (which you'd think I'd have plenty) and how much internet access I have. Also, I'm hoping to finish a book or two in the next couple days so I can actually have a review to post as well.

But here are a couple interesting things I've found lately:

Composite sketches of Literary Characters - "[U]sing law enforcement composite software and descriptions of literary characters" this guy creates these images. Great idea, although they kinda end up looking the same after a while.
Aomame, 1Q84, Haruki Murakami


Corrupts Absolutely? - I've been reading this anthology and thought I'd share it with you while the price is low ($5.95 for now). I'm about halfway through and it's been good to excellent so far.
Corrupts Absolutely? collects twenty brand-new stories from veteran authors and newcomers, each with a unique perspective on what it might really be like to be superhuman in today’s day and age. In the center of such a roiling mass of uncertainty and excitement lies one important truth: the fight against good or evil is never as important as the fight for or against oneself.
The editor, Lincoln Crisler, has been running a series of panels on his blog that are pretty entertaining, looking at metahumans, villains, and female characters. Also, one author, Ed Erdelac, talks about writing his piece.


eBook Deals
  • The Legend of Sigurd and Gudrun by J.R.R. Tolkien ($2.79) - Hope you liked the poems and songs of Lord of the Rings. Oh? You skipped those? I bought this because, you know, it's JRRT. But how much I will enjoy it remains to be seen.
  • A Princess of Mars by Edgar Rice Burroughs (FREE) - Anyone seen the new John Carter movie and is it any good? I need to see it, it had me at Willem Defoe. Here's the original book and it's free-ninety-nine.
  • EDIT: The Princess Bride by William Goldman ($3.99) - Thanks again to The Tattered Scroll for this one, I've been meaning to read this one for ages.

3 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Bryce, saw the new John Carter movie this afternoon - it was awesome! It's been a while since I read Princess of Mars, but from what I could remember they followed the book fairly well. Effects and action scenes were amazing. Really a good throw-back to the Golden Era type of movie.

tmso said...

Those composites are...creepy.

Bryce L. said...

@Alex - That makes me so happy, it looks so cool, I can't wait.

@tmso - Too true! :D